Top Tech Gifts for Guys: Drones
Have you ever thought of how cool it would be to own your own drone? Perhaps you, like I, have thought about it, but believed that it would be far too expensive. Well, it’s not. There are a number of manufacturers who are producing high quality drones at prices that are well within most of our budgets. One such manufacturer is Parrot(c). I’d like to provide you with a brief overview of some of their top-selling, high-quality drones and their capabilities.
Parrot Drone Review:
Parrot Jumping Sumo
Though strictly a terrestrial drone (i.e., it doesn’t fly), the Parrot Jumping Sumo drone is amazing. It can jump up to 80 inches and has a built-in camera (640×480 pixel wide-angle camera) with WiFi connectivity to your iOS, Android or Windows device so that you can see what it sees as you remotely control it or allow it to traverse a pre-programmed course. [You can capture, stream and save video to your smart device and/or to a micro-USB flash drive.]
What’s more, the Jumping Sumo has emotive LED’s and sound effects.
Watch this video to see the incredible maneuverability of the Jumping Sumo drone:
Parrot Rolling Spider Drone
This drone is quite cool and amazingly stable in the air. With four helicopter blades and internal gyroscope for stability, you can safely use this drone indoors. Control it via your iPhone/iPad, Android or Windows devices: Bluetooth-enabled with free controlling software. Get aerial pictures via the built in, bottom-mounted camera. Range up to 65 feet. Most users indicate that this copter is easy to maneuver: can even climb walls or roll across the ceiling with attachable wheels.
Drawback: Only 7-8 minutes of fly time per 90 minute charge. Some customers complained of defective batteries which would not even hold a charge this long.
Watch the video below to see how stable and easy to control this drone is:
Parrot AR Drone 2.0 (Quadricopter)
Also an aerial drone, this one will cost you more, but is arguably well worth it:
- Control via your smart phone or tablet via free software
- Hi-res streaming video sent to your device and/or recorded for playback
- Front facing 720p HD Camera and Standard Def down facing camera
- Power Edition includes Two (2) 1500mA batteries for up to 36 minutes of fly time along with three sets of blades (different colors).
- Supports barrel rolls and flips
- Boasts a range of up to 165 feet, but care must be taken not to exceed range as unit may fly away if WiFi signal is lost.
The video below will give you a good idea of the functionality of the AR Drone 2.0:
Parrot BeBop Drone
- 14 megapixel Full HD 1080p “fisheye” Camera and outstanding 3-axes image stabilization
- Records videos and pictures in a 180° field with remarkable image quality
- Built-in GPS for automatic return home and high altitude flight control
Generally very positive reviews with a couple individuals who reported “fly-away” issues when WiFi signal was lost or intermittent.
Watch the video below to see if this may be the drone for you:
Overall, the Parrot Drones have solid reviews and are considered to be high quality, high tech drones and a great value. You can spend a lot more for RC (Radio Controlled) drones which have longer flight ranges; however, the Parrot line of drones are great for beginners and recreational enthusiasts for a number of reasons:
- Compatible with most Apple iOS, Android and Windows OS mobile devices and tablets
- Easy to master controls
- Great stability
- Built-in cameras
- Sturdy construction
I hope this information has been of assistance to you. I’d love to get your feedback if you own one of these devices, or if you purchase one. Please provide your comments on this page to help other readers make an informed decision.
-Patrick @ Family Staples